How do you know when your car should have a high mileage oil change?
As we get older, we start to notice a few more creaks as we move, and we aren’t as agile as we once were.
Cars are just the same.
When your vehicle has clocked up around 75,000 miles on the clock, you should be thinking about a high mileage oil change.
What Is High Mileage Oil?
Put simply, high mileage oil is a different type of motor oil that is specifically designed for older cars.
It has special additives that older cars need to help keep them running smoothly.
What Are The Benefits Of A High Mileage Oil Change?
This service will increase the likelihood of your engine lasting longer.
This is because it is specifically designed to benefit cars that have over 75,000 miles on the clock.
Some of the benefits you will get from a high mileage oil change are:
- Reduced oil consumption. When you have fixed any leaking seals, you’re no longer wasting oil unnecessarily which should mean less time spent topping up it up.
- Added protection for your car from damage. When a car reaches high mileage, there will undoubtedly be a level of general wear and tear. It’s completely normal for parts to start wearing down, and to see more parts wearing down than ever. High mileage oil is a thicker substance than standard motor oil which helps to give parts the extra help they need to keep running smoothly.
- Older engines can accumulate an amount of “sludge”. This substance can be left behind by other motor oils and too much of it will clog up the engine. High mileage oil helps to break this down sludge and dissolve it, keeping everything clean, tidy, and blockage free.
- High mileage oil can also help to make your car healthier overall. It helps to reduce the levels of smoke and emissions you normally get from older engines. This is of course also great news for the environment.
- These oils contain antioxidants, detergents and additives that decrease wear and friction – good news or older cars.
What’s The Difference Between A Regular Oil Change And A High Mileage Oil Change?
The main difference is the ingredients that are used in the oil. High mileage oil has more benefits to your engine than standard oil.
It is designed to help give your car an extra “boost” anywhere it needs it while still keeping everything lubricated and cool like you would expect from standard oil. In high mileage oil you’ll find anti-corrosion agents, detergents, and friction modifiers. All of these ingredients are beneficial to older cars.
One of the most important ingredients in high mileage oil is seal conditioner.
Cars are full of seals that need to be working to make sure everything is kept tight and together.Over time these seals can break or become brittle, especially in older models.
If you have ever noticed an oil leak, this will likely be due to a seal coming apart. This is where the conditioner comes into play. It helps to reinforce the existing seals which will prevent further problems.
It’s not going to be a magic cure, but it will provide a level of extra protection to keep your car moving.
How Do You Know If Your Car Needs a High Mileage Oil Change?
As mentioned above, when your car reaches 75,000 miles or more it will usually benefit from a high mileage oil change. If you have an older car that hasn’t quite reached 75,000 yet, it may still benefit as it is still likely to be affected by the general wear and tear that comes with age.
If you noticed that you’re spotting oil stains where your car was parked, or your engine is sounding louder than normal you might benefit from a high mileage oil change.
How Do You Get A High Mileage Oil Change?
If you’ve got an older car and are looking for some help carrying out a high mileage oil change, our technicians can help!
Talk to our best car service team at ALM KIA South, and let us know what you’re looking for and we will be more than happy to discuss your options with you!